Saturday, April 5, 2014

The draw of the Battenkill Dirt

There is something special about April racing in Cambridge, NY.  The Tour of the Battenkill is the first major race on the East Coast calendar, and the one race that fuels hour upon hour of winter training.  Battenkill is the U.S. version of the Ronde van Vlaanderen with enough climbing and  dirt roads to test any rider.  Nearly 120 Cat 3 riders took to the start, eagerly waiting to tackle the challenging course softened overnight by a quarter inch of rain. In typical fashion, the early miles were a battle for position with everyone desperate to ride towards the front on each of the climbs and dirt sectors.  It seemed that people were keen to push the pace on the climbs and dirt sectors, whittling the lead group down to 20 or 30 riders, only to ease off in the flats long enough for the chasers to catch back on and swell the ranks of the peloton.  Somewhere around 30 miles into the race, the referee pulled up alongside the group and yelled, "1:15 to the break".  After Joe Bean Road, a couple guys snuck off the front and grew a sizable lead.  The lack of organization in the group allowed the break too much breathing room and for a moment I thought that all the hours of winter training were going to be wasted noodling along the rural roads of New York while the winning move went up the road.  However, a few brave souls struck out from the peloton in an attempt to chase down the leaders, and they quickly built a 15-20" gap.  It was now or never.  I broke free of the peloton and bridged across and immediately went to work.  With 4 strong riders we were able to inch away from the peloton and eat into the advantage to the leaders.  Up and over Herrington Hill, with a quick look back to check the gap, and then right back to urging on my breakaway companions, even though we shed one rider on the climb.  The next time check we got was 40" to the break.  A few more miles and we were on Meetinghouse Road, where the wind swung around to a much needed tailwind, and where we had a clear view of the break.  They were within 30" and the field was 90" behind us.  I knew that we only had a few miles of flat paved roads before the finishing climb, Stage Road, so I urged the group on one last time and we cut down the last 30" by the base of the finishing climb.  The leading duo was 25 yards ahead of us for most of the Stage Road climb, finally making the bridge as the gradient leveled out.  As we exited the last dirt sector of the day the newly formed group of 5 took inventory of the situation, took on some fluid or one last gel.  Not me, I saw an opportunity and I took full advantage of the situation.  With 200 yards of climbing remaining, at a mere 1-2%, I lashed out with every last bit of energy remaining, crested the hill and put my chin on the bars trying to eek out every last mph on the decent.  I had the gap and with 3.5 miles remaining I was fully committed.  I looked over my shoulder a few times on the run into town, checking to see if the group of 4 behind me would organize a chase, but it never materialized.  I was able to round the last bend onto main street, sit up and enjoy the fruits of my labor.  The first race of the season for Downeast Racing, in it's inaugural year, and I was able to deliver.  It was a great feeling.

Big thanks to teammate Joe Lynch, for looking after me in the early going and shepherding me to the front of the group, Gorham Bike & Ski for superb last second wheel service and to Doug Welling and the Sustainable Athlete for laying out the plan in January that built me up for this epic event.
I'm looking forward to the next Downeast Racing event, but for tonight I'm going to sit back with my 5 year old and share well earned cup of Battenkill Creamery Chocolate Milk.
-Eliot


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and everyone involved. The chocolate milk sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid the big smile on your face for the last mile might slow you down, but I guess not. Big congrats on a very tough win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your report, the win is even more impressive - catching the break, and then breaking free of the break, all on Stage Road. Wow, that is a lot of gas in the tank at on the approach to and on the last hill. Awesome work, Eliot.

    ReplyDelete