Monday, April 21, 2014

Enjoying a slower pace

We are all in a rush.  We drive fast, we talk fast and we ride fast.  Put me in a group ride, even with the intentions of taking it easy and I naturally gravitate towards the front and up the pace.  It is how I am wired, competitve at every turn.  So when I set out to have a successful day at the Tour of Battenkill it was a 3 month effort focused on one goal.  Now that Battenkill is behind me, there is a void in my motivation. I need time to recharge the emotional batteries.   The draw of Killington hasn't taken hold yet (though it is starting to call my name) and the weekly racing circuit doesn't have enough excitement for me to get geared up for battle.  Instead of trying to push myself harder or faster, I prefer to go slower.  
I start commuting to work, 25 miles (at a minimum) each way. I now have an excuse for going slow.  "I'm wearing a 15 lbs backpack, I'm rolling heavy wheels... ", the list goes on.  I like to use the cyclocross bike paired with indestructible armadillo 28mm tires, courtesy of Gorham Bike & Ski, and take the road less traveled.  I forget about trying to PR a Strava segment or putting out a specific wattage, and I look for the enjoyment of powering myself through the Maine countryside.  I end up choosing roads that I would normally avoid, cruising dirt road sectors for the fun of it, and before I know it I've logged 70 miles in a day, smiling the entire way.
There is a simple satisfaction in starting and ending your day with a bike ride.  Catching the sunrise and/or sunset from the saddle provides a much needed moment of peace in an otherwise hectic fast paced life.  Next time you are caught up in the whirlwind that is life, slow down for a ride and re-explore those roads that you almost never ride.


1 comment:

  1. Elliot,

    A very nice read. I recently got back into cycling and love every pedal stroke, even the ones that in not sure I can muster. Keep up the good work and and good luck this season.

    ReplyDelete