Monday, February 24, 2014

Simple bike cleaning idea

Did everyone enjoy their weekend of riding? I bet yes. Did everyone enjoy cleaning their bike each day? I bet not. In a combination of the "best ideas are the simplist" and "you can learn something every day", I had an enlightning conversation with Dr. Tom Murray after the ride on Sunday. I bumped into Dr. Tom in the Walgreen parking lot in Scarborough. I was hesitating over my bike, reluctant to touch it and put it into my car as it was covered in salt, sand and road grime (I don't like touching ikky things).
  
Tom: "Looks like you need to clean the bike."

Me: "Yeah - need to do it after every ride this time of year."

Tom: "Do you use a power washer?"

Me: "Huh??? Ahhh ... no, I squirt 3 or 4 bottles of hot water on everything."

Tom: "They make these power washers that hold 3 gallons. Cost like $75. I use hot water and it works great."

He told me the name of the item but I forgot it. A quick check on the internet reveals both power and manual spraying mechanisms. The manual sprayers are those like the ones used to spray chemicals on plants. You may have one in you garage. Here is a quick look at what's available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Manual-Pressure-Sprayer-Washing/dp/B00D8QL0O8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=11QH7WMZTBNH4SC56TWX

I must admit that I've never been so excited about cleaning my bike then I was yesterday. I DID have a manual sprayer in the basement. And I can report that, yep, the power sprayer is way better and more convenient than the water bottles. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment