Thursday, June 12, 2014

Training Blocks and Training Zones

We often talk about the goals and purpose that we are logging hours whether it is on the bike, running or skiing it is usually focused around some event or racing schedule. Since we are often scheduling our time with our family and work obligations I believe that quantifying our time with some specific training outline is essential to success for that event or an entire race schedule.

I like to break down my training program into blocks and break down the blocks with specific Training Zones dependent to the type of training in each block. This is likely a result of my inherent need to review and think about data and my USA Cycling cycling coach training. Regardless, whether you are using power or heart rate for your training you need to breakdown the training zones For me this defaults to the six training zones summarized in the table below.

Training Zone
Type of Training
Energy Substrate Mainly Used
Type of Fiber
Z1
Easy
FAT
Type I
Z2
Endurance
FAT-Carbohydrates
Type I
Z3
Intensive Endurance
CARBOHYDRATES-fat
Type I-IIa
Z4
Lactate threshold
CARBOHYDRATES
Type IIa-IIb
Z5
Above lactate threshold
CARBOHYDRATES
Type IIa-IIb
Z6
Anaerobic
CARBOHYDRATES-ATP-PC
Tyle IIb


















The purpose of each training zone is to elicit specific physiological and metabolic adaptations in order to improve performance. As you can see the different energy system that is utilized for each training zone it is important to stress each system by incorporating these specific zones in to your training blocks. As I mentioned in an earlier blog my blocks have generally focused on the following five: Build (Z2); Endurance (Z3); Tempo (Z3-Z4); Short Intervals (Z5-Z6); and Long Intervals (Z4).

Blocks are typically implemented and run 4 weeks in length with each week progressing by adding additional training hours to the cycle. Blocks 3 through 5 become the second, third and fourth week starting during the 3rd block. Once into full blown race season this gets disrupted with tapering for A-races.

 Block #1: Build:  (Z2) -  ideal training in this zone 4 days per week with two days dedicated                                       to Z1 recovery. This is typical during the winter months (Dec-Feb)                                           when you had some time out of normal training to let the body                                              recover from the past seasons efforts.

Block #2: Endurance: (Z2-Z3) - ideal training is 2-3 days per week in Z2                         
                                               1-2 days per week in Z3
            one Z1 day between the Z3 days.  

Block #3: Tempo: (Z3-Z4) - ideal training is 2 days per week in Z2
                                         2 days per week in Z3
                                         one Z1 day between the Z3 days
                                       
 Block #4: Short Intervals: (Z5-Z6) - ideal training is 3 days per week in Z2
                                                      1 day per week with Z5 work
                                                      1 day per week with Z6 work
                                                      one Z1 day between the Z5-Z6 days.  

Block #5: Long intervals: (Z4) - ideal training is 2-3 days per week in Z2
                                                 2 day per week with Z4 work
                                                 1 day per week with Z3 work
                                                 one Z1 day between the Z4 days

My opinion here may be a result of what I call the “master syndrome” which amounts to limited time due to family and work obligations or simply the fact that I am more comfortable in the peleton when I have adequate hours of Z2 work in the bank. Nonetheless, I see great benefit in time spent in Zone 2 and believe that an endurance athlete should never stop training in zone 2. Thus, as you see in my suggested blocks you ideally do Z2 work through the entire season.

The benefits of Zone 2 training has been well established through various physiology research efforts. It is in this zone that we stimulate Type 1 muscle fibers, therefore we stimulate mitochondrial growth and function which will improve the ability to utilize fat. This is key in athletic performance as by improving fat utilization we preserve glycogen utilization throughout the entire competition. Athletes can then use that glycogen at the end of the race when many competitions require a very high exercise intensity and therefore a lot of glucose utilization (Millán,2013).

Changes in nutrition and supplementation seems to occur more organically for me during these training blocks. I tend to move away from the comfort foods that surround us during the Holidays in the beginning of Block #1. I tend to crave vegetables, protein and fats (nuts) when acclimating in this phase. I tend to snack every couple of hours and work to keep my meals smaller so I’m not falling asleep post meal. Block #2 through #5, I am pretty religious about supplementing rides over two hours with Endurance Aminos and Anti-Fatigue. As well, I really start looking forward to my Recoverite immediately following my training work. The addition of these really tends to help me feel more recovered for my next morning training session. Once you get into Blocks #3 through #5 the season is nearing and racing has likely started so during these blocks I am adding Race Caps Supreme with my morning cup of coffee.

Once I’ve cut some weight down during Block#1 through block 3 I am really focused on increasing my carbohydrates and glycogen stores so that they remain more predictable and continuously elevated. This means anything over 2 hours and I am eating out of my pockets consuming Hammer Gels to increase glucose and Bars to increase glycogen levels. Multiple studies show that fatigue and decrease in performance is associated with low carbohydrate diets that cause glycogen depletion (Costil, 1992). Low intensity workouts (Z1-Z3) during long periods of time will for sure require a higher daily intake of carbs. High intensity workouts (Z4-Z6) rely on glucose almost exclusively - there is always a high degree of glycogen depletion and therefore these kinds of workouts require a higher carbohydrate intake.


Ride On!

No comments:

Post a Comment